Smart doors that only allow predetermined people to enter a house have taken over. The technology has now led to the development of electronic dog doors that only allows dogs with access to enter or leave a house.
These doors can either be installed temporarily if you live in a rental house or permanently if you own a home. If you always to feel lazy getting up whenever your dog wants to go out, you need an electronic dog door to save you some energy.
If you are wondering how or where to start, this guide will enable you to identify some of the best electronic dog doors available on the market today.
Buying Guide For Electronic Dog Doors:
Electronic doors work almost the same way as smart doors. They operate based on three things: a sensor on the dog collar, another sensor on the dog door and the normal opening and closing of the door itself.
The door opens and closes when the two sensors, the one on the collar of your dog and the one on the door, communicate.
When your dog wants to enter or leave the house through the door, the sensor on the collar sends a signal from the key to the sensor on the door.
The signal triggers the access way’ mechanism which then opens the door for the dog. There are different types of sensors that can be used on these doors; let’s look at them briefly:
It does away with the need to have a collar. With the help of your vet, a microchip is implanted in your dog. It’s advantageous since you will never worry as the device can never get lost.
It’s usually attached to the collar of your dog. The dog opens or closes whenever it senses a magnetic field. The only disadvantage is any dog with a magnetic collar can enter through the door.
c): RFID Signals
RFID is a new technology. A dog with a tag that has correct information will have access.
d): Ultrasonic Waves
Uses sound waves to grant access. The only downside is they are bulky and heavy.
e): Radio Frequency Chips
Works almost the same as RFID except that it doesn’t use information stored on the tag to grant access. It picks the frequency produced by a key on the dog. The only downside is that a dog with a key that produces the same radio frequency can gain access.
Factors To Consider Before Buying An Electronic Dog Door:
You now know how these doors work. It’s time to pick the best electronic door for your dog. The type of sensor should not be the only thing you look out for; there are other factors to consider as well.
a): The Size Of Your Dog
Don’t just go out in the market and pick any electronic door. Always keep in mind the size of your hound. A big breed will require a much bigger door. If you have several dogs, consider the tallest guy among them.
The height should be two inches higher than the height of your dog or dogs. The doors come in all sizes, pick a size that suits your dog or dogs.
b): Type of Sensor
We have already looked at the type of sensors. If you have your dog implanted with a microchip, then a microchip-enabled door is the best option.
If not, RFID may be a good option or even magnetic or ultrasonic. But have in mind that magnetic systems can be accessed by any dog that has a magnet on its collar. A radiofrequency system is a cheaper option if you want to cut down on cost.
c): The Type Of Frame
Whether you choose a plastic or metal frame will squarely depend on the size of your hound or the breed. Large and playful breeds require metal frames.
Get an electronic door that will only allow authorized dogs to use the door.
Have a door that can be easily programmed. You program the door to close 1 minute after your door enters or leaves the house.
The Importance Of Using Electronic Dog Doors:
• It’s convenient because you don’t have to be the doorman to your hound
• Your dog can have more opportunities to exercise
• They give maximum comfort to your hound
• Helps in reducing boredom, if he wants to go out to have some air, he can go
Our Top 5 Picks For The Best Electronic Dog Door:
1): Ideal Pet Products Designer Series Ruff-Weather Pet Door With Telescoping Frame:
If your energy costs have gone up and you suspect that your pet door is the cause, get the Ideal Pet Products Designer Series Ruff-Weather Pet Door as a replacement. This door can withstand all weather conditions. It will also help you cut on your energy costs.
- It is made of durable foam molded material
- This energy-efficient all-weather door comes with a telescoping frame
- The door can also accommodate dogs of up to 90 pounds
- It has a plastic frame with an additional two vinyl covers for maximum insulation
- It is easy to install
- The flap size is 9.75 inches by 17 inches
- Insulated frame
- Energy-efficient flaps with two panes
- It is made of waterproof plastic
- It comes with a limited lifetime warranty
- Comes in different sizes
- Some customers found that the flaps loosen with time.
2). BarksBar Original Plastic Dog Door with Aluminum Lining:
The product has been made with much emphasis on the safety of the dog and its owner. It gives your dog the freedom to go out and come back as it pleases.
It is made of aluminum and fitted on a sturdy thermoplastic frame which will easily complement your home’s decor.
- The thermoplastic impact-resistant frame that is designed to complement most home decors.
- It is made of durable materials that can withstand the test of time
- The energy-efficient vinyl weatherproof flap protects against rain wind and insects. It won’t warp easily even under extreme pressure
- Has a sliding self-locking door panel that is tamper-proof. It locks the door when it’s not in use
- It is suitable for dogs of up to 100 lbs
- Made of a telescopic frame that is easy to install
- It is affordable and of high quality
- Is easy to install
- Has a self-lock system that locks the door when it’s not in use
- It is energy-efficient hence cuts on energy costs
- It is made of durable materials
- It is a beautiful product that easily complements your home’s decor
- For some customers, the magnetic strip at the bottom easily breaks off.
It is a specially designed pet door that can easily be installed into a screen door using a screen guard. It has been engineered to maintain to take care of your mesh and screen guard.
- It is a high-quality screen guard pet door
- It has a lightweight flap which is convenient for pets of all sizes
- It is available in extra-large and medium sizes
- Comes in white color
- Is easy to install
- It is made of high-quality materials
- Comes with a lightweight flap
- The screen guard is bought separately
4). PetSafe Replacement Flap Freedom Pet Door:
As the name suggests, PetSafe Replacement Flap Freedom Pet Door gives you and your pet the freedom you deserve. Your hound gets the freedom of getting in and out of the house, while you get the freedom of not having to open for him each time he wants to go out.
- Has weathertight closures. Has a soft, flexible and transparent flap
- It is equipped with a magnet for tight closure
- Been made for easy installation
- Has an aluminum frame
- It is available in several sizes
- Has a slide-in panel to control entry and exit
- Highly durable thanks to the strong aluminum frame
- Can easily be used by pets because the vinyl flap is made of a soft material
- The magnetic flap keeps the door shut to prevent wind and insects from getting into the house
- It is easy to install
• For some customers, they found that the flap does not seal, as well when compared with the old model.
5): PetSafe, Selective Entry, SmartDoor, Energy Efficient, Programmable Pet Door:
This door provides the ultimate in flexibility. It will allow only entry to your home for your pets only, through the automatic locking system. This prevents strays or any other animal, from gaining access and thus wandering into your home.
- For Pets up to 45 kg
- Smart Door and Smart Key
- Cutting Template
- Installation Guide
- Programmable Modes
- Only Your Own Pets Allowed Entry
- Prevent Strays from Gaining Access
- Suitable for Multi-pet Homes.
- 3 Year Warranty
- Some customers found some parts missing.
Many dog owners will agree to the fact that electronic dog doors have made things easy for them and their canine friends. Your dogs go out or come in whenever they wish. You no longer have to wake up each time to open the door for them.
When you buy your pet a new electronic dog door, take time to teach him how to use it. You also have to be cautious since some dogs will take longer to adjust to the changes. But once they know how to use it, it will ease your job and give you and your pet, the freedom that you both deserve.
This presentation contains images that were used under a Creative Commons License. Click here to see the full list of images and attributions: