Smart pet doors that only allow your dog to enter or leave a house have taken definitely arrived. But what are the best pet doors for dogs?
If you are wondering where to start, this guide and the relevant product reviews below should help you identify, what is the best dog door for you.
These pet doors can either be installed temporarily if you live in a rental house or if you own a home, installed permanently. In addition, a smart electronic pet door can ease the frustration of having to get up each time, your pet wants out.
Our Top 5 Picks For The Best Pet Doors For Dogs:
If your energy costs have gone up and you suspect that your pet door is the cause, then consider buying the Ideal Pet Products Designer Series Ruff-Weather Pet Door as a replacement. This door can withstand all weather conditions and in addition, help to reduce your energy costs.
- Made of durable foam molded material
- This energy-efficient all-weather door comes with a telescoping frame
- The door can also accommodate dogs of up to 90 pounds
- A plastic frame with an additional two vinyl covers for maximum insulation
- Easy to install
- The flap size is 9.75 inches by 17 inches
- Insulated frame
- Energy-efficient flaps with two panes
- Made of waterproof plastic
- Comes with a limited lifetime warranty
- Comes in different sizes
- Some customers found that the flaps loosen with time.
The safety of the dog and owner has been given much emphasis on this product. It allows your dog the freedom to go out and come back as it pleases. The pet door is made of aluminum and fitted on a sturdy thermoplastic frame which can easily complement your home’s decor.
- The thermoplastic impact-resistant frame that is designed to complement most home decors.
- Durable materials that can withstand the test of time
- The energy-efficient vinyl weatherproof flap protects against rain wind and insects. Will not warp easily even under extreme pressure
- Has a sliding self-locking door panel that is tamper-proof. Lock the door when not in use
- Suitable for dogs of up to 100 lbs
- Made of a telescopic frame that is easy to install
- It is affordable and of high quality
- Easy to install
- Has a self-lock system that locks the door when it’s not in use
- Energy-efficient which helps to cut energy costs
- Made of durable materials
- A beautiful product that easily complements your home’s decor
- For some customers, the magnetic strip at the bottom easily breaks off.
It is a specially designed pet door that can easily be installed into a screen door using a screen guard. It has been engineered to take care of your mesh and screen guard.
- High-quality screen guard pet door
- A lightweight flap which is convenient for pets of all sizes
- Available in extra-large and medium sizes
- Comes in white color
- Easy to install
- Made of high-quality materials
- Comes with a lightweight flap
- The screen guard is bought separately.
This Microchip Pet Door for dogs will let you stay connected with your dog from anywhere. The app will let you receive important notifications on the movements of your pet. In addition, you can lock the pet door remotely.
It uses your existing pet’s microchip as an electronic door key, ensuring unwanted animals are not admitted. Buy the SureFlap hub which is sold separately to utilize the smart app. However, if no hub is connected, it can work as a standard Microchip door. This pet door is suitable for small dogs.
- Smart app-controlled microchip pet door
- Lock/unlock the pet door remotely
- Monitor your pet’s long-term activity and spot any important changes
- Install into doors, windows, and walls
- Remotely know where your beloved pet is.
- Uses existing Microchip.
- Set and change curfew times.
- Battery Powered.
• SureFlap Hub required (sold separately)
This pet door provides the ultimate in flexibility. It will allow only entry to your home for your pets only, through the automatic locking system. Prevent strays or any other animal, from gaining access to your home.
- For Pets up to 45 kg
- Smart Door and Smart Key
- Cutting Template
- Installation Guide
- Programmable Modes
- Only Your Own Pets Allowed Entry
- Prevent Strays from Gaining Access
- Suitable for Multi-pet Homes.
- 3 Year Warranty
- Some customers found some parts missing.
Buying Guide For Smart Dog Doors:
Electronic dog doors work almost the same way as smart doors. They operate based on three things: a sensor on the dog collar, another sensor on the dog door, and the normal opening and closing of the door itself.
The door opens and closes when the two sensors; the one on the collar of your dog and the one on the door; communicate. When your dog wants to enter or leave the house through the door, the sensor on the collar sends a signal from the key to the sensor on the door.
The signal then triggers the access way’ mechanism which then opens the door for the dog. There are different types of sensors that can be used on these doors. Let’s look at them briefly:
It does away with the need to have a collar. Ask the help of your vet, if a microchip needs to implanted in your dog. It’s advantageous since you will never worry as the device can never get lost.
It’s usually attached to the collar of your dog. The dog opens or closes whenever it senses a magnetic field. However, the only disadvantage is any dog with a magnetic collar can enter through the door.
c): RFID Signals
RFID is a new technology. A dog with a tag that has correct information will then be granted access.
d): Ultrasonic Waves
Uses sound waves to grant access. However, the only downside is they are bulky and heavy.
e): Radio Frequency Chips
Works almost the same as RFID, except that it doesn’t use information stored on the tag to grant access. It picks the frequency produced by a key on the dog. Keep in mind that a dog with a key that produces the same radio frequency can also gain access.
Factors To Consider Before Buying An Dog Door:
You now know how these doors work. Now it’s time to pick the best electronic door for your dog. The type of sensor should not be the only thing you look out for since there are other important factors to consider as well.
a): The Size Of Your Dog
Don’t just go out in the market and pick any electronic pet door. Always keep in mind the size of your hound, because it follows that a large breed will require a much bigger door.
If you have several dogs, then choose the tallest furry pal among them, because the height should be two inches higher than the height of your dogs. The doors come in all sizes, so pick a size that suits your dog or dogs.
b): Type of Sensor
We have already looked at the type of sensors. If you have your dog implanted with a microchip, then a microchip-enabled door is the best option.
If not, RFID may be a good option or even magnetic or ultrasonic. However, magnetic systems can be accessed by any dog that has a magnet on its collar. In addition, if you want to cut down on cost, then choose a radiofrequency system as a cheaper option.
c): The Type Of Frame
Whether you choose a plastic or metal frame, will squarely depend on the size of your hound or the breed. Large and playful breeds require metal frames.
Get an electronic door that will only allow authorized dogs to use the door.
You can easily program the door to close one minute after your dog enters or leaves the house.
Benefits Of Using Smart Dog Doors:
a). No more the doorman for your pet.
b). More opportunities to exercise for your dog.
c). It helps to reduce boredom in your dog.
Dog doors have made things easier for dog owners because your dogs can now go out or come in whenever they wish. This means that you no longer have to get up each time to open the door for them.
When you buy your pet a new door, make sure that you take some time to teach him how to use it. Also, remember that pets take different times to learn things, but once they know how to use the door, it will give you and your pet, the freedom that you both deserve.
Please also check out our >>> Buying Guides For Dog Products <<< Thank you.
This presentation contains images that were used under a Creative Commons License. Click here to see the full list of images and attributions: